Monday, April 9, 2012

usb tethering with the samsung aviator w/ debian linux

My latest phone, the Samsung Aviator, is the first 4G LTE phone on the U.S. Cellular network. Here in Maine, LTE is up and running and very speedy. I pay for tethering on my account because there is no other available broadband in my area.

Tethering works just fine when I turn my phone into a wifi access point. It also works in MS Windows (basically my pc is a glorified gaming console) in usb tether. However, when I booted into my Debian Linux install, usb tethering just didn't work. The solution was to manually set the mtu to 1000. I haven't tried messing around with it, and I'm sure other values may alter its performance, but this is what I had to do to get it to work reliably.

I used wicd's scripts option to manually set the mtu before it brings the interface up. It seems to work fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment